Monday, April 28, 2014

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

20935171

ARC

     I'll admit that this one was a little confusing for me. When I was sent a review copy I was so excited because it sounded so mysteriously good! I can't say that it was fabulous, but I can say that it made me keep turning the pages. I just had to know what happened to the main character.
     This book is marketed with not much of a synopsis which intrigued me. The reader is told that if asked about how the book ends to lie about it. What?! That made me want to read it even more. What could possibly happen in this book that it warrants so much secrecy? Secrecy it must be, though. I just don't know how to review this very well without giving something away.
     In short, this is a book about a young girl and her cousins plus one cute boy that spend each summer together on a family-owned private island. There is fun, romance, mystery, and tragedy throughout the story. The plot was an interesting one. How it ended made it especially interesting. I'm not saying that I liked the ending, which I did not, but it all made for a big bang.
     My biggest question is: why were they called The Liars? That question doesn't seem to get answered. I felt that the prose was halting, and I remained confused for quite a bit of the time.
     I hate that I didn't love this book, but sadly I did not. There are some redeeming qualities: the characters, the mystery, and the tragedy. Yeah, I know. That seems kind of sadistic, huh? All in all, the tragedy was beautifully sculpted, but the execution of the rest of the book, especially that darn ending, was just insufficient.
     I gave this book 3/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment