Monday, March 21, 2016

The Girls by Emma Cline



     I received this from Netgalley.

     Evie Boyd lived in California in the late 60's, and she was pretty content until she saw the freedom of the carefree girls in the park. One especially caught her eye, Suzanne. Her dark hair and her smile drew Evie in, and soon Evie follows Suzanne to a ranch that houses a cult. Russell, the leader of the cult, seems to draw women to him like a moth to a flame. Evie is no exception, but she eventually sees through the cracks in his facade. As Evie spends more time with this haphazard "family" she finds herself in a violence she didn't think would be found in this place.

     I feel like I have an unpopular opinion of this book. I really didn't enjoy it much. When I read the synopsis I was fascinated that it was set in the 60's about a cult turned violent, but as I read I became disenchanted. I just became bored with the plot. I felt like there was so much building up to the "event" but it was a very slow building. I grew tired of hearing about Evie's obsession with Suzanne, and I longed for something to happen. On a more positive note, it was written realistically. I did feel as if I was reading a young teenager's diary about her summer. I also enjoyed Emma Cline's descriptions and wording she chose. But the positive qualities weren't enough to redeem this book.

     I rated this 2/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment