Tuesday, March 8, 2016

The Silver Strand by LJ Clarkson

    

      I received this for review from LibraryThing.
     Twelve year old Isabelle is completely embarrassed when she grows a silver strand of hair that causes her to bleed pink dust, and then a magnet sticks to the hair in the middle of class. She wishes that the hair had never grown causing it to shrivel, but later she finds out that her silver strand is the source of her new magic and if she can't save it she will lose her life as well. If she can save her hair and her life in 5 days she will be able to go to Mastermind Academy to learn how to use her magic.
     I really looked forward to reading this book because it sounds amazing. I was disappointed in the story because a silver strand that bleeds pink dust, a girl that turns into a toad, people-eating dragons, and too many conveniences occurred. I definitely believe that this is geared towards 9-12 year olds, and I would probably have liked or liked this more if I were 9 years old. I just found it to be too ridiculous, and there were many times things were just too much of a coincidence to force the story together. Maybe removing some things and adding others would have made it better. I felt like we moved so fast from one thing to the next. I had no sense of what each "world" was like. Overall, I am sad that I did not enjoy this story.
     I gave it 2/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment