Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Sisters Red (Fairytales Retelling#1) by Jackson Pearce

19540605

     This is a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. Sisters, Scarlett and Rosie, live with their grandmother in a small, country town. One day the peace is disturbed by an attack of a Fenris that leaves Scarlett not only scarred physically on the outside but scarred inside as well. After the brutal attack, Scarlet makes it her life's mission to protect other young girls from the vicious Fenris. Scarlett and Rosie train to be hunters of the wolves. The drive of hunting is all that Scarlett knows, but Rosie hunts in gratitude to her sister for saving her life in the Fenris attack years ago. Silas, the woodsman, has returned to town and takes his place at the sisters' sides once again. The three join ranks in the war against the Fenris, even moving to the city where there are more Fenris to hunt. Soon Rosie and Silas become distracted in the growing attraction to one another. Do the three continue to function as a team or do they go their own ways?
     It sounds like such a good story, right? Well, I guess it was, but I got really tired of all the blood and gore. Descriptions of the blood, injuries, and the transformation process of the Fenris were repetitive. I listened to this on audio book and believe that it is the only reason that I finished the book. If I had been reading this I probably would have set the book down before finishing it. I did enjoy the voices of the narrator and Rosie, but did not enjoy Scarlett.
     I rated this book 3/5 stars. I can't whole-heartedly recommend this book, but if you just enjoy a retelling of a fairytale you might one to check this out. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment